Thursday, April 9, 2009

Nauvoo road trip: Part 3

After we went to Libery Jail we went to dinner and to a hotel we found a coupon for, for really cheap. As cheap as the coupon was for, I knew it was not going to be a nice hotel. However, I was not expecting what we got. We got there and had to buzz in to have the hotel person unlock the door for us to come in. It reeked of smoke inside. I was a little worried and asked her after we checked in if stuff would be safe in our car over night. She said, "Oh yeah. Just lock your doors." We went to our room, and besides it smelling so strong of old urine it almost killed me, this is what we found:

This is one of the holes in the boxsprings.

Here is the bathroom tile...

And the hole in the bathroom door added a classy touch.

We stayed in there for a few minutes when I decided I wanted to pop some popcorn we bought because my game was on. We called the lobby and of course there was no microwave in the entire hotel. We drove to a gas station to use their's and they were supposed to be open, but they were apparently closed. And not just closed, but a huge chain was wrapped around the door handles. This confirmed my fear that we were in a bad part of town. We kept driving and found an open one...with bars in the doors. Yikes! We obviously didn't know we had picked a bad part of town beforehand. That night, we slept on our emergency blanket from the car and used Doug's dirty t-shirts over the pillowcases. I'm surprised we haven't contracted any strange diseases yet!

The next we woke up to monsoonal rain and wind. On our way out of town we stopped for gas. After a few minutes of pumping gas, Doug opened my door and said, "Uh...I think we have a serious problem." My heart dropped. "See those black things over there?" He pointed across the parking lot. "Those black pieces are our gas cap." I told him to go grab it. He brought it back, and BY MIRACLE, when it blew off the car and got ran over, the only part that got shattered off was the handle part. We still had a working gas cap! Minus the handle, but hey, it still worked. What a blessing!


We stopped that night in a totally fine hotel luckily. The next day we drove the rest of the way home. Our only misfortune the rest of the trip:

Holy crap! I was bending over to grab something and heard a huge thud. I looked up and to my surprise saw this huge...crack thing...in our windshield! I gasped and the rearview mirror was blocking Doug's view of it so he bent around and freaked out too. Stupid semis kicking rocks at us! We are so lucky it didn't break our whole windshield though!

The end :)

2 comments:

Kate said...

Well at least it makes for a good story!!! That is funny about he hotel. I am glad you took pictures we could share in the experience. I wish I could have been there, it really sounds like it was fun times. :) Come what may and LOVE it!

Jana said...

I just have to say that I don't think I could have stayed in that motel even if they were paying me. You are brave souls.