I was talking to one of my best friends from elementary school today who is now in the Marines, and he told me this story, and it was so touching I had to share it. Prepare to get teary eyed.
He was in the Phillipines for part of their deployment and every morning a little 6 year old girl named Cameron would wait outside for my friend to give him lumpia (think egg roll). He would give her food, water and a little bit of money for her family. Sadly, an older kid found out and beat her up badly and stole her family's food for the week. I asked him if she was okay, and he said yes. He had their doctor look at her and patch up.
Then, I asked him how he got the food to give to her. I am all teary eyed just writing this.. He told me he gave them MREs, and that they love them down there. I said, "Yeah, but how did you get them?" This was his exact reply:
"They were my rations, I'd only eat like once a day there, and I'd give the rest of them to her."
Is that a hero, or what? Sometimes being a hero isn't about the huge things. It's an amazing reminder that Marines aren't just hardened killing machines..
Doesn't this make you want to donate to a food bank?
Monday, October 26, 2009
Posted by Marcie at 6:48 PM
Wednesday, October 14, 2009
So you know those crazy people who think it is completely appropriate to yell at employees of some workplace about something that's totally not the employee's fault? Yeah... Mix parking tickets into the mix and it can get a little ugly sometimes.
The person who works next to me handles the parking tickets for the huge parking lot that surrounds our workplace. The other day, I was zoning out until I heard, "I GET A PARKING TICKET EVERY TIME I COME HERE!!" Of course the tone of voice caught my attention. I held my amusement down to (I hope) a small smirk. His rant continued, and ended with a really rather entertaining remark that went something like this. "IF I'M HERE MORE THAN HALF AN HOUR AND GET A METER TICKET....I'LL....BLOW MY TOP!!!!!!!"
Hehehe. Just a little amusement for your day. :)
Posted by Marcie at 2:05 PM
Monday, October 5, 2009
So I saw this as an idea for a scrapbook layout and thought it would be a fun blog instead. So, here goes.
1. My husband!!!!
2. Listening to rain
4. Our kitty
5. When my little nephew says something full of a-t-t-i-t-u-d-e. (Sorry Stacey..but you have to admit it's a littttle funny)
6. My nieces and nephews
7. Having sisters, finally :)
8. Reading a book so good that I can't put it down
9. My fluffy pig slippers
10. Making someone else happy
12. Surprising Doug with something
17. Eating my creations
18. Watching movies
19. Sleeping in together
20. Hearing "I love you"
21. Wearing PJs
22. Giving compliments
23. Getting compliments
24. Drinking hot chocolate
25. Laying down after a long day
26. Paychecks being bigger than expected
27. Buying presents
28. Stargazer lilies
30. Getting free movie tickets
33. Otter Pops
34. Hangin' out with my cousins (and their awesome kids!)
35. Date night
38. The sound of the ocean
40. Having my parents visit
41. My favorite Mexican restaurant
43. Pictures of Christ with children (especially David Bowman's! Google his art. Now! Right now!!!)
44. 3 Doors Down, Linkin Park, Hinder, Saving Abel, and Nickelback music. Plus lots more.
45. The Twilight Series (so sue me. haha)
47. Organizing (it's a new one!)
50. Did I mention my husband? ♥
P.S. If you were naughty and didn't google David Bowman's art, NOW IS YOUR CHANCE! Haha.
P.P.S. You should do this too. I officially "tag" all of you who read this. :)
Posted by Marcie at 4:59 PM