Tuesday, June 24, 2008

The Miracle of the Keys

It never ceases to amaze me how little things can turn out to be incredible miracles. Yesterday a friend and I headed to a place about half an hour away to go swimming for the afternoon. We pulled in the parking lot and she parked her car and went to pull the keys out of the ignition and they wouldn't even turn to the point where you pull them out. We tugged on them and they wouldn't come out or even budge to where we could pull them out. We drove around the parking lot a little, reparked and tried to get them out again. We tried everything we could think of for awhile until we decided to start calling people. She called her grandpa first, but he wasn't home so she ended up chatting with her grandma for a minute. I called my dad and talked to him for a few minutes. We tried what they said and nothing worked. She called one more person and he told us something to try and a couple minutes later it worked and we got the keys out and headed in to pay to get in. I had ignored a call from someone because I thought I knew what he was calling about and I didn't want to talk for a long time when we just got to the pool. Boy did I turn out to be wrong. He then sent me a text asking if my best friend was okay. I told him as far as I knew she was, and asked what happened. He called me, and this time I answered. He told me that my best friend's fiance had committed suicide. We were able to leave the pool before we had paid and I really think if it weren't for the problem with the keys that delayed us a long time, I would have been in the pool and not gotten that phone call. Because of being delayed by a dumb key, I was able to turn around and come straight back to town to my friend's house to be with her during the worst time of her life. I will forever be grateful for that little key and the loving Heavenly Father who made it stick.

We miss you like crazy Anthony. You'll never be forgotten.

2 comments:

Tory and Elizabeth said...

Wow,miracles do happen, even in the form of stuck keys. You are an amazing woman to be with your friend during her crisis.

Sister Christine McCracken said...

You never know why things happen in life when they happen. But soon enough they explain themselves. Good job for seeing and recognizing the miracle for what it was.