Monday, September 15, 2008

Dear college textbook publishers,

To quote the movie Little Rascals, "I hate your guts...you are the scuuuum between my toes!"

There is something wrong with this picture.

Anatomy and Physiology package: $273
Spanish textbook (paper back, slightly larger than a normal novel): $92
Spanish novel (I saved ten dollars because I thought to order it through Barnes and Noble): $9
Statistics textbook: $137
Medical Terminology textbook: $73
Literature textbook: $65
Anthropology book 1: $22
Anthropology book 2: $18
Anthropology book 3: $20
Anthropology book 4 (the only textbook I could get used this semester): $18
(Yes, there were FOUR required books for anthropology, for crying out loud!)

Going to college: totally not priceless!

Before taxes: $727.
After taxes: $771 for required textbooks alone, that's not including some of the optional things I bought.

I bought my spanish textbook by itself one day and it made me feel slightly better and slightly worse that the cashier gasped when she told me my 92 dollar total for the stupid novel sized paperback textbook.

I hate textbook publishers almost as much as oil companies.

4 comments:

Sister Christine McCracken said...

The life of a college student rocks! I had to pay for a folder that had a passkey for a program... seriously? Can I just be assigned this from the teacher since they are the one that wants us to use it?

Annie Hall said...

HA HA HA I only bought like 4 books my entire college career. And I still have them. Culinary basics, sexual physiology, Sexual problems, and looking out looking in. It is an awesome book about interpersonal communication. If you need to borrow any of the above for a class or a good pleasure read... (so not the sexual problems book) just give me a jingle!

Jana said...

I seriously believe that it you want to be set for life, write textbooks and then come out with new editions every year. The prices are such a joke.

Tory and Elizabeth said...

I remember buying books for my first semester at school mainly because I had worked all summer 25 hours a week at an above minimum wage job in hopes to save money for my two years of nursing. Nope I spent my whole summer savings on one semester.

I am just glad that when I buy books now it is usually something like Twilight.