Monday, August 31, 2009

Food storage...Help!


I know I should have been being better all along, but lately I've been thinking about food storage a lot and wanting to get our's going better. I had been making it a goal in my head to get going on our 3 month supply. A few days later, I was looking through some papers and found a packet about food storage. I knew this could not be a coincidence. The packet listed the -Safely Gathered In- blog so I checked it out. It is an AWESOME food storage blog, I highly recommend checking it out.
So here's where I need help. I made my 3 month plan and started working on it, thinking it would be no real problem. It got hard because I was trying to think of meals that didn't involve eggs, cheese, or other dairy like sour cream since they can't be stored. I cook tons of different things, but a lot of them involve those dairy products that can't be stored. Does anyone know of something for eggs or sour cream? Like powdered milk is for milk?
Or am I just taking this too far? Something I looked at said if you followed their plan you wouldn't have to go to the grocery store a single time for 3 months. But we REALLY like eggs and cheese and dairy products..! I guess in a natural disaster or something it would be super hard to go to the store and they would probably be out of everything.. but still, that's not the only situation we plan for, right? How do you guys do it?
Next off, do any of you have any good recipes for food storage? Some of our normal meals work easily to store, but not a lot of them.

So pretty much I would love ANY advice, ideas, or help you can give me! I really want to get this going but I really need some help!

3 comments:

Jana said...

I love the Safely Gathered in blog too. I have it's link on my sidebar along with another called Food Storage made easy. You can get powdered eggs and cheese and basically anything else at a store here called Emergency Essentials. They have a website to order from. I am sure you probably have a store up there with similar products.

As far as recipes go there are some great cooking with food storage books recommended as well as recipes on those blogs, and some sold at the preparedness stores. I bet a google search would turn up some good stuff too.

I am just barely getting into food storage at this point in my life so you are way ahead of me!

tko said...

wow Marcie...looks like you have a great start:)

Thompson Family said...

You can also get powdered eggs from Honeyville, sometimes their prices are better. If you can get some people to do a group buy with you it is cheaper too. PS I LOVE your Halloween background:)